Friday, April 10, 2009

Online Portfolio

I am a little confused about what topic needs to be created into a website. I have created two wikis and this is my second blog. The topics I think about would probably be better suited for a wiki format.


When I did my observation for one of my education classes, the SLMS that I worked with suggested that I create an online portfolio because she feels that is where our profession is heading.


Last quarter my professor, who also teaches this course, kept mentioning this class. When I looked at the assignments for her class I saw online portfolios as final class projects. My interest in taking this class was to learn how to create my online portfolio.


Some of the projects I could add to my portfolio are:


http://mksya.blogspot.com/ - Young Adult Book Blog


http://teengriefsupport.pbwiki.com/ - Teen Grief Support Wiki


http://sites.google.com/site/mllcitizenshipresources/ - 9th Grade Citizenship Pathfinder


http://battleofthebooksclub.pbwiki.com/ - A wiki for a 4th grade Battle of the Books club. It is a private wiki. I will need to set up a password for anyone outside the school to view it.


I have a webquest I created on Alice Paul and Women’s suffrage for 4th grade students that I did not publish up to the web yet.


I worked on a group 5th grade multi-media lesson on how Science influences the Olympics.


This would be a very helpful project for me to work on with only two more classes to take after this quarter.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe you could use one of the sub-pages as a portfolio section? I started Vanessa's class in the fall and ended up dropping it a few weeks in. From what I recall, the portfolio site was essentially a 'one stop shop' for all of the projects you mention above (which I think you could assemble pretty easily through feeds, or links or embedding - I know there's a way, just don't know what it is!), in addition you would have a mission statement of sorts, and your CV.
    I kind of think of a website as a purse to carry all my other digital stuff around in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You bring up a good point that Emily might be able to clarify. What is the benefit of an electronic portfolio? I know that many schools are jumping on that bandwagon. I was planning to sign up for the ePortfolio offered via DrexelOne, but then I read the fine print and it said that the portfolios are only available for a certain amount of time after you graduate. I don't see the point in creating a portfolio that will dissapear later.

    Doreva

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only person I know who made a kind of portfolio did so for theater performances. Very extensive, nice-looking, but only ended up being one page, which seemed kind of small considering all the stuff he did! Although he changed it to a slightly more informal resume since I first saw this.

    http://garyploski.com/actor/resume/

    ReplyDelete